Google TV is a simple dongle that converts any TV into a smart TV by providing access to plenty of streaming apps. Like other streaming devices, Google TV also comes with a pre-installed YouTube app to stream various contents. In this modern world, YouTube doesn’t need any introduction. You can find videos on different categories like science, entertainment, kids, technology, news, sports, games, health, and many more.
Anyone with a Google account can stream YouTube videos without any fee. In fact, you can stream the videos without a Google account. Those who had subscribed for YouTube premium will get additional features like ad-free videos, background play, PIP (Picture in Picture), YouTube Originals, unlimited download access, and more.
How to Watch YouTube on Google TV
As said earlier, YouTube is a pre-installed app, and you don’t need to go through any downloading process. If you uninstalled YouTube on Google TV by mistake, follow the below steps to install it.
1. On your Google TV, select Apps at the top of the screen.
2. Navigate to the Search menu and type YouTube by the on-screen remote or voice assistant support.
3. Select the YouTube app and then click on the install button.
4. Wait for the YouTube app to install on Google TV.
5. Once installed, launch the app and sign-in with your Google account to watch the videos.
Note – To watch live TV, get YouTube TV and stream all the live channels you want.
Cast YouTube Videos on Google TV
Note – The following procedure is also applicable to Android TVs, which had built-in Chromecast support.
- Ensure your device (Android or iPhone) and Google TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Open the YouTube app and ensure that you’re signed in.
- Select cast icon on the top right corner.
- Select the Google TV device.
- The color of the cast icon will change to blue.
- Now, play the video you want and then watch it on the Google TV connected screen.
How to Install YouTube using Downloader
In general, you don’t need this technique as YouTube is officially available for Google TV. If you had any trouble while installing it from the store, sideload the YouTube app with the help of the Downloader app.
- Click on the search bar from the home screen and type downloader in the search bar.
- Select the Downloader app from the list that appears on the screen and click install.
- Once the app is installed, you need to enable developer mode so that the YouTube app can be installed from an unknown source. You can enable this on the device settings.
- Launch the downloader app and go to the address bar at the top of the screen.
- Enter the URL of the YouTube app and then click Go.
- The YouTube apk file will download on your Google TV.
- After downloading it, install it by going through the on-screen prompts.
- Launch the YouTube app and stream the contents.
These are the three ways you can use to watch YouTube videos on Google TV. The drawback of YouTube on streaming devices is that you cannot watch videos on offline. As streaming devices and smart TVs are powered with less device storage, there is no option to download videos for offline streaming. If we have missed anything, you can suggest us.