HBO Max is a subscription-based video-on-demand streaming platform owned by Warner Bros. In HBO Max, you will get tons of movies and series from HBO and other content providers like Adult Swim, Cartoon Network, CNN, and more. One of the best things about HBO Max is the specific video titles will be released on the streaming platform on the same day as the theatrical release. You can install HBO Max on streaming devices like Fire TV Stick, Roku Stick, Google TV, Nvidia Shield TV, and more.
You can access the HBO Max platform only with the paid subscription, which costs $14.99 per month. The free trial option is removed from the platform after 2020. With a single subscription, you can create five different profiles for personalized streaming. If you are going to buy Chromecast with Google TV, you will get three months of HBO Max subscription for free. The offer is valid till the 21st of December, 2022.
How to Watch HBO Max on Google TV
You can install the HBO Max app on Google TV for free if you are residing in the United States.
(1) Plugin Google TV to your TV and select Apps from the home screen.
(2) Move to the Apps Categories and click Search for apps.
(3) Enter HBO Max using an on-screen keyboard and tap on the Search icon.
(4) Select Install to install the app and click Open to launch HBO Max on Google TV.
(5) Select Sign In and enter the Email ID and Password of your account. Choose the content and watch it on Google TV.
This is the official way of installing and activating HBO Max on your Chromecast with Google TV.
Alternative Way to Watch HBO Max on Google TV
If you are not planning to install HBO Max, then you can cast HBO Max to your Google TV. HBO Max is a cast-supported app. HBO Max app is available to download on Google Play Store and App Store. Install the application on your smartphone.
(1) Make sure that your smartphone and Google TV are connected to the same WiFi network connection.
(2) Launch HBO Max and login into your account.
(3) Choose the content to stream and click the Cast icon at the top right corner.
(4) Select the Chromecast with Google TV device.
(5) The video you choose will now stream on your Chromecast.
(6) To stop the casting, click the Cast icon again and tap the Disconnect button.
While casting, you can use your smartphone for other purposes as the video is only getting cast. This is the alternative way to watch HBO Max without installing it.
How to Watch HBO Max on Google TV Outside the US
At its launch, HBO Max was a geo-restricted application that was available only in the United States. But now, they expanded its services to several countries. Some countries like Canada, Hong Kong, and India are yet to get the HBO Max platform. If you are planning to stream HBO Max in those countries, you have to install a VPN on Google TV and sideload the app. To sideload an app on your Google TV, you need to install the Downloader app.
How to Sideload HBO Max on Google TV Using Downloader
(1) Go to the Google TV home screen and click the Profile icon at the top right corner.
(2) Select Settings in the menu and click System.
(3) Tap About and click on the Android TV OS build seven times or until it displays “You are now a developer!“.
(4) Go to the home screen and select Apps. Now, select Search for Apps under Apps categories.
(5) Type Downloader using remote and click Search.
(6) Select Install to download the app. Go back to the home screen and tap the Profile icon.
(7) Click Settings and tap on the Apps settings. Select Security & Restrictions from the Apps menu.
(8) Select Unknown Sources and enable the Install unknown apps toggle for the Downloader app.
(9) Now, click Open to launch Downloader on Google TV and tap Allow in the prompt.
(10) Provide the HBO Max for Google TV APK URL and click Go.
You can get the HBO Max APK link by searching it on Google. As the version varies, you can find the updated version on any of the Play Store clone websites.
(11) Select Install to install the app.
(12) Now, install any of the VPNs like NordVPN or ExpressVPN on your Google TV and set the location as the United States.
(13) Launch the HBO Max application and sign in with your account to watch your favorite movies and TV shows.
These are the different ways to stream HBO Max on your Chromecast with Google TV. You can also download the contents on HBO Max to stream them offline. If you face any trouble in following the above procedure, do let us know in the comments.
Open the Google Home app and click the Plus icon. Go to Manage Services and choose Videos and Photos. Choose the HBO Max app and add it to Google Hub.
If you are using an older version of Google Chrome, you can’t stream HBO Max. Update the Chrome browser and stream all the HBO Max content.