Kodi Media Player is one of the best free and open-source media players that is designed to stream local and online media files. You can install Kodi on various devices like PCs, Smartphones, Smart TVs, and streaming devices. If you are a Chromecast with a Google TV user, then you can easily install Kodi Media Player and can stream your favorites. Kodi allows you to add various add-ons to stream content online. Kodi allows you to stream free movies, TV shows, on-demand videos, and live channels as well. There are around 923 official add-ons available on Kodi. Using these add-ons, you can stream hours of content for free. Apart from these, you can also install third-party addons from different sources as well. Kodi Media Player on Google TV will be an entertainment hub for all age groups of people.
Kodi on Chromecast with Google TV
Chromecast with Google TV is a streaming device that runs on Android OS. You can install apps directly from the play store and start using them. Google TV also allows you to cast content from your smartphone or PC as well. Kodi is officially available on Google Play Store and hence, you can directly install it on your TV.
There are two ways to stream content from Kodi on your Google TV:
- Installing directly on your device
- Casting it from a smartphone
How to Install Kodi on Google TV (Play Store)
If you are planning to use Kodi regularly, then installing it on your device will be the best choice. Follow the steps below to install this media player on your device:
1. Connect the Chromecast with Google TV device to the HDMI port of your TV and turn it on.
2. On your Home Page, go to the Apps category and click on the Search button.
3. Type the name Kodi and click on the search button. Alternatively, you can press the Google Assistance button on your remote and say Kodi App to open the app info page.
4. The app info page will open. Click on the Install button to download the app on your device.
5. Once the app gets installed, you can launch the app directly by clicking on the Open button.
Kodi Media Player doesn’t have a sign-in page. You can use the app immediately after installing it on your Google TV. You will find various sections like
- Music Videos
You can install any addons of your choice and stream your favorite video content on a larger screen.
Related: Netflix on Google TV: How to Install & Use
How to Cast Kodi to Chromecast with Google TV (Smartphone)
If you are using Kodi once in a while, then this method will be very helpful to you. Kodi doesn’t support direct casting but you can screen mirror Kodi content to your TV. Follow the steps below to mirror Kodi to Google TV. Before proceeding, connect your Google TV and Smartphone to the same WiFi connection. Then, install the Kodi app from the Play Store.
1. On your Smartphone, open the Google Home app.
2. You will find the available devices on the home page. Select the Google TV app.
3. The Google TV app page will open. You will find the Cast My Screen option at the bottom of the screen. Tap on that option.
4. A pop-up will appear. Click on the Cast Screen option.
5. Another pop-up will appear to warn you about the sensitive info while casting, click on the Start Now button to continue.
6. Your Phone screen will now appear on Google TV. Minimize the Home app and launch Kodi on your smartphone.
7. Play any video content in the Kodi app and enjoy streaming it on Google TV.
How to Sideload Kodi on Chromecast with Google TV
Only the latest version of Kodi is available in the Play Store. If you wish to install the previous version of Kodi, then you have to use the sideloading methods. For example, if you want Kodi 17.6, then you can sideload the app to Google TV using the Downloader app.
#1. Enable Developer Mode
On the Home screen, Click on the Profile icon >> Tap Settings >> Select System >> Click About >> Tap Android TV OS Build until you get the notification You are now a Developer.
#2. Install Downloader App
Click on the Google Assistance button and say Downloader app. The app info page will open. Click on the Install button to download the app.
#3. Enable Unknown Sources for Downloader
On Google TV Home Screen, Click on the Profile Icon >> navigate to Settings >> Select Apps >> Tap Security & Restrictions >> Click Unknown Sources >> Enable Downloader.
#4. Install Kodi on Google TV
- Open Downloader app.
- Enter the previous version URL. (http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/android/arm/) This link contains all previous versions to download.
- Choose your desired version and download the apk file.
- After downloading the file, click on the Install button to install the Kodi on your Google TV.
This method will suit you if you require an older version of Kodi on your device.
Kodi Older Versions Available to Download:
- 19.0 Matrix_rc1
- 19. 0 Matrix_beta2
- 19.0 Matrix_beta1Android
- 18.9 Leia
- 18.8 Leia
- 18.7.2 Leia
- 18.7.1 Leia
- 18.7 Leia
- 18.6 Leia
- 18.5 Leia
- 18.4 Leia
- 18.3 Leia
- 18.2 Leia
- 18.2 Leia_rc1
- 18.1 Leia
- 18.1 Leia_rc1
- 18. 0 Leia
- 18.0 Leia_rc5.2
- 18 .0 Leia_rc5
- 18. 0 Leia_rc4
- 18.0 Leia_rc3
- 18. 0 Leia_rc2
- 18.0 Leia_rc1
- 17.6 Krypton
Related: How to Install Amazon Prime Video on Google TV
If you are planning to download the latest version, then the first method will be the best as it only involves downloading through the Play Store. The above are the different ways to stream Kodi on your Chromecast with Google TV. Install Kodi and start streaming free live TVs, movies, TV shows, and much more on a larger screen.
Yes. You can use the Downloader app to sideload Kodi on your device.
Kodi is a legal media player and it is available in the Google Play Store. Only third-party addons in Kodi are illegal. So, avoid third-party addons and use the official Kodi 900+ add-ons to stream content.
Yes. You can cast Kodi to Chromecast with Google TV using your smartphone. To know more, refer to the blog.