WhatsApp is our go-to app for communication purposes. In the new update, you can make payments to your friends in addition to chatting and calling. For chatting, our smartphone screen is enough. But for video calling, it will be better if we have a big screen. If you are a frequent video call user, you have to install WhatsApp on bigger display devices like Google TV or Android TV. By installing WhatsApp on Google TV, you will get a bigger screen to make video calls. Apart from installing WhatsApp, you can use the web browser to access the app. However, in the web version, you will have some limitations.
How to Install WhatsApp on Google TV
Before jumping into the steps, make sure to connect and set up the Chromecast with Google TV dongle to your TV.
Turn On Developer Mode
(1) On the interface, click your Profile at the top.
(2) Select Settings and click the option About.
(3) Scroll down to the Android TV OS build option and tap it 5-7 times.
(4) Now, you have entered into the developer mode.
(5) Then, search for the Downloader app on Google TV and install it.
Enable Install Unknown Apps
(1) On your Profile, navigate to Settings and click Apps.
(2) Scroll down and select Security & Restrictions.
(3) Hit the option Install Unknown Apps.
(4) On the next screen, tap the Downloader app’s toggle to enable.
Sideload WhatsApp on Google TV
(1) Open the Downloader app on your Google TV.
(2) On the URL box, enter WhatsApp apk download link.
(3) Then, click the Go button to download WhatsApp’s apk file.
(4) Install the apk file on your Google TV.
(5) Open the app on your Google TV and activate it with your phone number.
Note: WhatsApp won’t allow you to use the same number on two devices.
Alternative Way to Get WhatsApp on Google TV
Though Google TV is not compatible with a web browser, you can sideload the Chrome browser. With the web browser, you can access the WhatsApp Web version.
(1) Download and install the Chrome browser on your Google TV using the Downloader app.
(2) Open the Chrome browser and go to the WhatsApp Web website.
(3) Scan the QR code with your smartphone.
(4) Once done, you will get your WhatsApp on your TV.
(5) If you want to sign out, click the three-dotted icon and choose Log Out.
These are the two ways to get the WhatsApp app. Either download the app using the Downloader or use the Chrome browser and access the WhatsApp Web version. Remember, in the WhatsApp Web version, you can’t make audio or video calls. Pick a way that is convenient for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
No. the WhatsApp app is not available on Google TV. But, you can install the app using third-party installers like Downloader.
Connect your smartphone and Google TV to the same Wi-Fi network.
On your Smartphone, click the Cast icon and tap your Google TV name.
Your smartphone screen will be mirrored to your TV. Open the WhatsApp mobile app to view it on your Google TV.