Google Chrome is the most-used web browser in the world. The web browser is available for almost all smart devices. Though the Chromecast with Google TV is developed by Google, the Chrome browser is unavailable for the device. You have to sideload the app on your Google TV. To sideload apps on Google TV, there are different methods available. Let’s see them in detail.
Ways to Sideload Google Chrome on Google TV
- Using File Commander App
- Using Downloader App
To sideload apps on Google TV using File Commander or Downloader, you must make changes to the Google TV Settings. Before that, install the File Commander or the Downloader app on your Google TV from the Play Store.
1. Click the Search icon on the Google TV home screen.
2. Search for the File Commander or the Downloader app.
3. Select the app from the search results.
4. Tap the Install button to get the File Commander or the Downloader app.
Changes in the Google TV Settings
1. On Google TV, choose the Settings menu.
2. Select the System option.
3. Choose the About feature.
4. Navigate to select the Android TV OS Build option.
5. Tap on the option seven times until you get a message stating, “You are now a developer.”
6. Now, go back to the Settings menu and choose Apps.
7. Tap the Security and Restrictions option.
8. Select the Unknown Sources feature.
9. On the list of apps, enable the toggle for the File Commander app or the Downloader app.
How to Sideload Chrome on Google TV Using File Commander
1. Get the Google Chrome APK file from any of the websites on your smartphone or PC.
2. Open Google Drive on your smartphone or PC and upload the APK file.
3. Now, go to the Apps section on your Google TV.
4. Open the File Commander app.
3. Go through the on-screen prompts and then choose the Cloud option.
4. Choose Allow and then select the Google Drive icon.
5. Sign in with the same Google account you used to upload the Chrome APK file.
6. Choose the Google Chrome APK file.
7. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation.
8. After installation, launch the Chrome browser and surf the internet on your Google TV.
How to Sideload Chrome on Google TV Using Downloader
1. Open the Downloader app on your Google TV.
2. Click the Allow button to grant permission.
3. Go to the Search bar and enter the Google Chrome APK URL and click the Go button.
4. Download the APK file and click the Install button.
5. Now, the Chrome browser will be installed on your Google TV.
6. Get any of the APK launchers like Sideload Channel or Sideload Launcher on Google TV to open the Chrome APK file.
7. Then, surf the internet with ease.
As you have sideloaded the Android version of Google Chrome, you may feel a little uncomfortable with the Google TV remote. Hence, we recommend you connect a Bluetooth mouse or Mouse Toggle with your Google TV for better navigation.
Frequently Asked Questions
No, Google TV doesn’t have a pre-installed web browser. You have to install or sideload the web browser manually.