Freeview is a UK-based television broadcasting service launched in the year 2002. It consists of 70+ TV channels and 30 + radio stations from all over the world. Apart from this, you will also find VOD content and catch-up TVs from BBC, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5, UKTV Play, and CBS. You can stream the Freeview content in different quality formats such as SD, HD, and UHD. This streaming service is free to download and use. It is available on both Play Store and App Store. It is supported on various devices including Google TV. Google TV users can directly download the app from the Play Store. In addition, you can also cast or sideload the app on Google TV. In this article, we’ve covered the steps to install Freeview on Chromecast with Google TV.
How to Add Freeview on Google TV
You can always add Freeview on Google TV from the Play Store like any other app. Follow these simple steps to add Freeview to your Google TV device.
1. Connect and set up the Chromecast with Google TV with your TV.
2. On the home screen, select the Search menu on your home screen.
3. Type Freeview on the search bar using the virtual keyboard.
4. Next, choose the Freeview app from the search results.
5. Finally, select the Install button to download the app on Google TV.
6. Once installed, open it and follow the on-screen prompts to access the app.
7. Choose a video content and enjoy streaming it on your Google TV.
Alternative Way to Get Freeview on Google TV
You can add Freeview by side-loading it using the downloader. Follow these instructions to get Freeview on Google TV.
Install Downloader App
Initially, we need to add Downloader on Google TV. It lets you add third-party apps on Google TV.
1. Select the Search menu from your home screen.
2. Type and search for the Downloader app on the search bar.
3. Next, pick Downloader by AFTV news from the results.
4. From the next page, select the Install button.
5. Further, wait for the installation process to complete.
Enable Unknown Sources for Google TV
In order to sideload an app, you need to enable Unknown Sources in Google TV settings. To do it, follow the steps given below.
1. On the Google TV home screen, you can see a profile icon. Select this icon and then the Settings option.
2. Further, choose the Device Preferences option.
3. Choose the Security and Restrictions option.
4. Choose the Unknown sources options.
5. Finally, choose Downloader and enable the settings.
Install Freeview on Google TV
Now, we have come closer to streaming Freeview. Let’s download it using the Downloader app.
1. Launch the Downloader app on your Google TV. Further, click on Allow if prompted.
2. On the URL box, enter the URL of the Freeview apk.
3. Click on the Go option and download the Freeview APK file.
4. Finally, Click Install to download the app on Google TV.
5. Now, You shall stream Freeview content on your Chromecast with Google TV.
With Freeview, you can get Live TV channels as well as on-demand content in the same app. Moreover, you don’t need multiple apps as it brings content from BBC iPlayer, All4, and more. Therefore, the need to install all these individual apps got eliminated. Freeview is one of the best streaming services that offer plenty of video content for free.
Note: If you can’t access some content of Freeview due to geo-restrictions, use a standard VPN like IPVanish to unblock the restrictions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can directly install the Freeview app from the Play Store on Google TV.
No. Freeview is a streaming service that is completely free to download and use.